Even though adults like to tell us its easy, making friends can be really hard. Not finding a group that accepts you and likes you can make us feel like we don’t belong anywhere. We know it will be fine someday, but its really frustrating when you feel like you aren’t fitting in right now.
Here are a few tips to help you deal:
- Know that there is nothing wrong with you- Not fitting in absolutely does not mean that you are the problem. Friendships change and so do interests. Not everyone around you is going to like the same things as you. Accept that and don’t feel like you need to change
- Make an effort to join new groups- Okay- I know how weird it will be if you just walk up to a group that you don’t usually talk to and plop down at their lunch table. But, its the only way to really put yourself out there and meet new people. Just because you haven’t been friends with someone in the past doesn’t mean you can’t ever be.
- Explore new activities- While there’s no need to change your hobbies or interests, there’s also nothing wrong with trying something new. Joining a new club or team is a great way to meet new people and explore new friendships.
- Be present- I know that sounds weird, but just paying attention to what is going on around you is actually really important. You can miss an entire trend or party plans all because you had your eyes glued to your Insta.
- Don’t force it- Don’t try to force your way into a group or hang on to friendships that aren’t good for you. Anyone would be lucky to be your friend and its their loss if they decide not to be.
Remember, some of the most successful people didn’t fit in when they were kids. Accept that and embrace it. You’re destined for greatness. Yes, it can be hard, but it won’t last forever.